Updated on February 23, 2018
- For online poker grinders, VIP programs are very important. They can return up to 35% of the rake you pay. In exchange, online poker rooms earn your loyalty—so it’s important to pick the right site for you.
- VIP programs can be confusing with their points and tiers, so read on.
- Tiers work on a calendar basis, usually monthly, but also in some cases quarterly and annually. When you start at the beginning of the month, you maximize the chance of reaching the best tier. If you reach a monthly tier, you will remain on that tier at a minimum for the rest of the current calendar month, plus all the next month.
VIP Programs Basics
Note that some VIP programs give you bonuses, some instant cash, and there may be other perks and clauses. Read below for details, but this table should give you a good indication of what bonuses you can expect.
|Site||Pros / Cons of Each Site’s VIP Program|
|888 NJ||Has good rakeback for mid and high level grinders. 5% starting level is generous. Rewards are in the form of instant cash.|
|Borgata||Borgata’s VIP program hits the sweet spot for those that play tournaments. Also, it frequently has good promos for grinders.|
|partypoker NJ||Good rewards for low volume or infrequent/casual players. Great VIP program for tournament players.|
888 NJ: The Most Rewarding
- 888’s VIP program is the simplest system in New Jersey and the most generous for both casual players and daily grinders.
- All players start get 5% cashback from the very first hand they play. Regular players can easily achieve 15-20% cashback, and the program goes up to 35% for high volume players.
- Rewards points mean instant cash, with no fuss and no playthrough requirements.
At 888, as you play poker and in the casino, you earn Status Points. In poker, you earn 2 SPs for every dollar attributed in rake. Status Points track your progress through VIP Status Tiers.
You also earn Rewards Points, and the higher your status, the quicker you accumulate them. Rewards Points can be converted instantly into real dollars at a rate of 1RP=1c. These aren’t bonuses, this is cash that goes directly into your bankroll and can be cashed out immediately.
WSOP New Jersey: Lots of Tiers Makes it Easy to Move Up
- WSOP New Jersey’s VIP is transparent and simple to understand.
- To start earning rewards you need to rake $100 within a calendar month.
- There are 10 different tiers which is good for players—it means the next level up is always within shooting distance.
- Regular players should be able to reach 4%-12% in cashback.
- Tiers do go all the way up to 35%, which is competitive—but these are annual tiers can be hard to hit; although recent changes have made Elite status easier to achieve. The 20% level is do-able but it is a big commitment.
As you play, you earn WSOP status points at a rate of 2 APPs for every dollar paid in rake. You enroll automatically in the club once you rake $5 in a month (that is, 10 APPs). If you are below that level, you get access into an exclusive $250 freeroll instead. The first tier is Bronze level, but that’s worth nothing except entry into a $1000 freeroll.
The real rewards start at Silver—where you start generating WSOP points. Here is where the program gets good: WSOP points are converted instantly into real money. This money goes into your bankroll, and can be withdrawn at any time—there’s no playthrough requirement or other hoops to jump through.
Moving up in tiers increases the rate you accumulate WSOP points by way of a multiplier. There are nine tiers based on monthly accumulation of points, and two that work on an annual basis.
Below are the different tiers, the number of APPs needed to reach the tier, and what that works out at a daily rate (in a 31-day month).
|Seven Stars (annual)||250,000||$125,000||$342.47||17.5x||35%|
- Borgata’s iRewards program has four monthly VIP tiers and one quarterly tier.
- The best value comes when using points to purchase cash bonuses
- On the downside, rewards points are bonuses not instant cash so there is a play-through requirement.
In the My Borgata iRewards program, players accrue points, called iRPs. All players are automatically started on the entry level—Red Label—and as they accrue iRPs they move up in tiers. There are four monthly tiers, and one quarterly tier.
iRPs can be spent in the store on various items, including instant cash, poker bonuses, satellite and tournament buy-ins, hotel stays, electronics, and more.
While instant cash is tempting, and casino trips and electronics may attract some, for most people the best deal in the store is cash bonuses. The rakeback percentages in the table below are based on a player using points to buy these bonuses.
partypoker New Jersey: For Tournament Grinders & Low Volume Players
- The most complicated VIP program which can only really be understood by logging in to your points store.
- There are four monthly tiers, the highest is easy to achieve for grinders.
- For tournament players, the best value comes in the form of bonuses.
Just like Borgata, everyone enters the rewards program and starts off at Bronze, and moves up by earning points. There are four monthly tiers.
Points can be spent in the store on tournament tickets and bonuses. The best way to use your points is by redeeming them for tournament tickets.